Qualification & Responsibility
CENTRE FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
CAA provides professional services and academic administrative support to academic departments and schools and comprises the Professional Services Team of departmental secretaries and cluster administrators who are located in academic departments, the central Registry, the Research and Graduate Studies Office, the Programme Management and Quality Team, the Academic Events Management Team and the Academic Enhancement Centre. The International Student Recruitment and Support team also work within Academic Affairs. These teams, in partnership with other central professional services teams across the University provide an integrated service platform for the University’s core functions, namely learning and teaching, research and collaboration with the wider region and the world.
The role of the Departmental secretary is to provide administrative service to the Head of Department. On a daily basis, the role holder reports to the Head of Department, but under a system of matrix management, Departmental secretaries are line managed under the Centre for Academic Affairs (CAA), under the co-ordination by the Professional Services Manager in CAA.
The role-holder will be expected to support the Head of Department, and academic staff in the academic-related activities of the Department. The role-holder will need to build strong working relationship with other functions across department and university, such as Registry, Project Management and Quality Assurance, Human Resource Department, Finance Department, Management Information Technology and System Office, and will be expected to proactively contribute to different kinds of events at university/cluster/department level, including the University graduation ceremonies, student programme choice, and other academic events. The role-holder will be expected to provide front-line services to students and visitors.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate a positive attitude, a high level of reliability and professionalism, strong communication and organizational skills, and must be willing to work flexibly.
• Support for Departmental administrative operations, events and projects as appropriate.
• Meeting organization and support, such as agenda creation, document preparation, minute-taking, action follow-up.
• Support for the examination and assessment processes, in conjunction with staff in the Registry, throughout the academic year, including exam papers collection, moderation coordination and documents production, exam paper archive.
• Support for academic quality assurance process, such as the programme and module approval process, professional accreditation, Annual Programme Review, and Internal Periodical Review.
• Support for research-related activities as appropriate.
• Help with Department budget preparation, and monitor on departmental budgetary spending, and arrange for departmental procurement.
• Update and maintenance of departmental publications, including departmental webpage, shared folder, and Alumni webpage.
• Logistics support to staff, such as pay slips delivery, general enquiries, attendance recording.
• Signposting and referrals services for staff, students and visitors.
• Provide back up to other departmental secretary
• PA to Head of Department
Experience • Experience of working in an office environment covering a range of administrative tasks
• Experience of using the Microsoft Office suite in a workplace • Experience of working in HE context, preferably in an international environment
Education, qualifications and training • Bachelor''s degree plus 3 years working
experience • Postgraduate qualification plus 3 years working experience
General and specialist knowledge • Awareness of cultural diversity within an international environment • Knowledge of UK higher education system
Skills • Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Chinese
• Excellent organizational skill
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Attention to details
• Ability to work with a group of people
• Ability to prioritize a variety of tasks and meet deadlines
• Excellent IT skills , including word, excel, ppt • Ability to suggest ways of optimizing procedures
Personal attributes • Excellent team player
• Customer and service-focused
• Proactive and positive approach
• Resilience to work pressure
• Be adaptable and open to change to meet the changing needs of the business
• Dependable, reliable and trustworthy
• Ability to deal with confidential matters and act with discretion
This is a full-time role and the working hours will be Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm, with an hour for lunch. On some occasions, we expect the role-holder to work flexibly on unsociable hours.
The job description is neither exhaustive nor prescriptive but will develop, in consultation with the role-holder, as circumstances change.
Please be kindly advised that a photo on your CV is very helpful for interviewers to recall your performance during the interview, especially when there is a series of interviews with different candidates going on in a certain time period.
How to apply
To apply for the position, please visit the following website and apply online before the closing date: http://job.xjtlu.edu.cn/. You need to register and then login to complete each part of the application process, including Basic Information, Cover Letter, Job Title and Reference and Equal Opportunities Form. Remember to attach your CV when completing the Basic Information form, and the covering letter (in English) should outline your interest in the post and explain how you meet the criteria.